Pages

Medicines & Such

I know I promised to post about my medicines last week, but it has been super crazy/busy around here! I keep my promises, even if they are late :), so here is the low down.

I am taking Bravelle and Menopur daily as an injection. These two medicines stimulate my ovaries so that my body will produce as many eggs as possible so that once it is time to harvest the eggs, we will only have to do this part once (hopefully!). To take Bravelle and Menopur, I have to mix a vial of sodium chloride with however many vials of Bravelle and Menopur that Dr. Winslow tells me to. As I go to my appointments every couple of days, Dr. Winslow tells me whether to increase the amount of medicine or decrease the amount of medicine that I am taking. It all depends on what he sees on the ultrasound. After several days of taking the Bravelle and Menopur, I started taking Cetrotide once a day as an injection also. Cetrotide delays the release of my eggs until Dr. Winslow thinks they are ready to be retrieved. This all sounds so overwhelming because...it is! But, I am so thankful that Dr. Winslow knows what he is doing!

Aaron has been giving me the injections, even though I was scared to begin with. I have never been a wuss about things before, but let me just tell you about that first injection: WOW! I had a mental break-down for sure! I was in tears and it took me probably 30 minutes to get myself psyched-up enough to let Aaron give it to me! It wasn't just the injection itself, it was the combination of the injection, why I'm even having to do this...just everything all rolled into one! But, I made it through that first injection and then I made it through the second one, not much better than the first one. These injections are not too terrible but they do burn really badly as the medicine goes in.

Aaron is a pretty good stick :). Who would have ever thought that?! He is actually my favorite shot-giver. My Mama has given me some of my injections as well but I'll be honest, it does not feel too good when she does (sorry, Mama!) because it feels like she pushes the medicine in as slow as she possibly can. Sarah has given me two injections and she did pretty good, too. I know she was pretty nervous!

A lot of people have been asking me when the retrieval is and when the transfer will be. We know that we are loved and prayed for and thought of so much and we know that so many people want this to work so that we can have a living child. We are so grateful for this! But losing Jonah and Harper has made us very aware that so many things can go wrong in a pregnancy. I mean, a healthy child is truly a miracle. So, we have decided not to share with others when the retrieval or the transfer will be, we are not 100% sure when these two events will be anyways. We do plan on sharing with everyone what happens eventually, just not immediately. We do this to protect our sanity, so we hope that people will understand our hearts. When the time is appropriate, we will fill everyone in. We ask that people would please not try to pick us for information. This means me and Aaron, our families, Kristi and her family, close friends, etc. We need some element of privacy in all of this because if we do get pregnant, while it will be a happy time, it will also be a scary time for me and Aaron, this is simply what losing two babies will do to you. And if we do not get pregnant, we will be disappointed and I am sure that people could understand our need for privacy.

The process is still on-going so we hope that you will all keep praying us through this! There are many more things that still have to take place!   

No comments :

Post a Comment