Pages

The Trigger Shot & Retrieval Day

The HCG trigger shot is a shot that must be given no more and no less than 35-39 hours before the egg retrieval. This is the last step, so that the eggs can reach maturation. My trigger shot happened on Good Friday...and it was anything but good!

I was nervous all day about that dang shot! I had to take it at 10:00 p.m. sharp that night. We met Sarah and Clint at a restuarant in town to eat supper after our Good Friday service at church. We got there at 9:00 p.m. so me and Sarah sat in the car while Aaron and Clint went in to get a table. My intentions were to mix up my medicine so that it would be ready so all we had to do was go out to the car and pop it in at 10:00 p.m. sharp. Nothing ever goes as planned for me. I had a full-out melt down because I injected air instead of water, the whole time thinking I had injected water, to my medicine! I mean, I was quickly unraveling in front of Sarah and Aaron, who had ventured back outside wondering what was taking me so long. But God always provides and He has blessed me with a dear, sweet friend since losing Jonah. This friend rushed to save the day and met me in the parking lot and mixed my medicine up for me, reassuring me that I had not messed anything up. Even so, I could not stop shaking until Aaron gave me my injection at 10:00 p.m. So, if you saw me and Aaron shooting up in the parking lot of a local restuarant on Good Friday, now you know ;)!

The retrieval was Easter Sunday and to say I was nervous would be an understatement! Me and Aaron went up the night before so that we could be there bright and early. I was taken to a triage-like room and I had to get my pretty gown and socks and hairnet on. I waited probably 30 minutes after this before they took me to the operating room and the longer I sat there, the more anxious I became. I just wanted this part to be over. Once the retrieval was over and I woke up from anesthesia, the nurses around me told me that the doctor was able to retrieve 10 eggs! I busted out crying because I was so thrilled that they got more than I thought they would!

I went home to rest that day, I was in quite a good bit of pain. I also laid around the house the next day too because I still wasn't feeling all that great. I was able to return to work that Tuesday, anxiously awaiting Dr. Winslow to call me and tell me how our embryos were looking and what the plan would be. More on this tomorrow!

1 comment :

  1. Praying that all goes as planed may God bless you and help you keep your anxiety away.

    ReplyDelete